When it comes to employment, it’s often the biggest names that grab the headlines. But beyond the household brands, there are companies that are quietly churning away, providing jobs and driving the economy forward. These are the largest companies by employees, the unsung heroes of the job market that play a crucial role in shaping the state’s economic landscape. In this article, we shine a spotlight on the top employers in The Top 5 Largest Employers in Texas For 2023, taking a closer look at the companies that employ the most workers and power the state’s job market.
How We Identified the Top Largest Employers Based In Texas
To identify the top 5 largest employers headquartered in Texas, we relied on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages (QCEW) program and data from various sources. This program collects data on nonfarm employment in each state and provides information on the largest employers.
The Industries Driving Texas’s Economy in 2023
- Information technology, which broadly includes everything from IT and telecommunication to computer systems and more. Texas is home to numerous Fortune 500 companies in this sector, such as AT&T, Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard, and Oracle.
- The supersector — or consistency of transportation, utility, and trade — which has an above average presence in Texas and represents 20% of total nonfarm employment. The state is also a major exporter of goods, valued at $485.6 billion in 2022.
- Business services, which include education and health services. This sector employed 14% of the Texas nonfarm workforce as of August 2020 and had modest overall industry growth.
- Energy, which is a long-standing and dominant industry in Texas. The state is the leading producer of oil and natural gas in the U.S. and has been the recipient of $97 billion in foreign direct investments for over 110,000 new jobs.
- Manufacturing, which employs 869,000 people in Texas or 7% of the nonfarm workforce as of June 20152. The state is home to multiple segments of the industry, such as computer and electronic goods, motor vehicle and parts, food and beverage, and aerospace products.
Exploring Job Opportunities at Texas’s Top Employers:
Whether you’re a recent college grad or a seasoned professional looking for a new challenge, take a look at our list of the top employers in your state. Who knows, you may find your dream job at one of these companies.
If you need more help with your job search or career planning, you can also check out these resources:
- WorkInTexas.com, the state’s premier job site that connects employers and job seekers. You can create a resume, browse job openings, find education and training opportunities, and access labor market information. Visit www.WorkInTexas.com to sign up or log in.
- Texas Workforce Commission, the state agency that provides workforce development services to employers and job seekers. You can find information on unemployment benefits, job fairs, career exploration tools, and other programs and resources. Visit www.twc.texas.gov to learn more.
- CareerOneStop, a website sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor that offers career resources and tools for job seekers. You can find information on networking, resume writing, interviewing skills, salary negotiation tips, and more. Visit www.careeronestop.org to learn more.
The top 5 largest companies by employee count headquartered in Texas:
- Foxcon Assembly LLC, based in Houston, a subsidiary of Foxconn Technology Group that provides contract manufacturing and assembly services for electronics products, with 803,126 employees.
- Pizza Hut, based in Plano, a global pizza chain that operates restaurants and delivery outlets in various countries, with 350,000 employees.
- AT&T, based in Dallas, a telecommunications company that offers wireless, broadband, video, and voice services, as well as media and entertainment content, with 230,000 employees.
- Keller Williams Realty, based in Austin, a real estate franchise company that operates a network of agents and brokers across the U.S. and internationally, with 190,000 employees.
- ENGIE North America, based in Houston, a subsidiary of ENGIE Group that provides energy and infrastructure solutions, including renewable energy generation, natural gas and electricity supply, and energy efficiency services, with 171,100 employees.
As you explore job opportunities in your state, keep in mind that these largest companies by employees are just a starting point. There are countless other companies out there that may be a great fit for your skills and career goals. To expand your job search, check out job boards and professional networking sites, attend career fairs and industry events, and connect with recruiters and staffing agencies. And don’t forget to research each company thoroughly, including their culture, values, and growth potential.
With the right mindset, resources, and support, you can find the job of your dreams and achieve your professional aspirations.
We hope that our list of top employers has given you some inspiration and insight into the job market in your state. Remember, the key to finding the right job is to keep an open mind, stay persistent, and always be on the lookout for new opportunities.